Stay hydrated or fill up on fruits and veggies
Just as we drink water to stay hydrated or fill up on fruits and veggies to maintain our health, it’s also important to nurture our eyes with food.
Keep your eyes in tip top shape with these great go-to snack ideas that are packed with nutritious foods for your eyes.
- Eat your leafy greens – Fresh spinach and kale are loaded with two antioxidants called lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants help protect against the damaging effects of UV rays – pack an extra-large salad on those sunny days!
- Fruits and veggies – Fill your lunch bag with colourful Vitamin C rich foods, such as grapefruit, strawberries, bell peppers and broccoli. Vitamin C is another vitamin that acts as an antioxidant by helping to absorb some of harmful rays generated by the sun.
- Hummus – Enjoy some hummus with you veggies! Chickpeas, as well as other legumes, contain Zinc which helps your liver release and drive Vitamin A to the retina to produce melanin – melanin helps protect your eyes from ultraviolet light.
- Visit the docks – Most know that Omega 3 fats have many disease fighting powers, but did you know that they can also help protect against age-related macular degeneration and dry eye? Cook up your favourite salmon salad recipe, or order some sushi to-go.
- Think Orange – Carrots, yams and sweet potato are packed with beta-carotene, an antioxidant that can help reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration andcataracts.
- Use leftover turkey – Planning a picnic? Pack your sandwiches full of this zinc and niacin filled protein. In addition to helping fill your zinc quota for the day, turkey contains b-vitamin niacin, which can help protect against cataracts.